A mirror image appears of anyone who looks into the frame, before the spirit of the mirror assesses you as either ‘the fairest of them all’ or “sadly, others are more fair’
Based on the classic fairytale magic mirror, this interactive piece worked automatically for the duration of the show.
- Picture comes to life when you look at it
- Camera embedded in picture frame
- Based on Snowwhite magic mirror
- Your face becomes the picture
- Then told if you are ‘fair’ – or not!
“Brilliant fun!” – Audience Member
- Chris Squire: Concept, design, direction and delivery
- Peter Sutton & Lloyd Henning : Fox Dog Studios: Coding and interaction
- Emily Brown: Performance
- Nick Sparks: Installation
Commissioned by Chatsworth House for ‘Fairy Tale’ themed Christmas at Chatsworth event, and placed in the sculpture gallery at the end of the tour. The piece was inspired by the magic talking mirror from Snow White.
A camera hidden in the picture the frame feeds face recognition software to enable it to respond to anyone who stops in front of the picture to look at it.
It mixes prepared content with a brief recording of the participant to offer a judgement as to the beauty of anyone who steps up.